questions of diff locks

Hier kun je je eens goed laten gaan
dieseldog
lrocb_lidnr: 0

questions of diff locks

Ongelezen bericht door dieseldog »

Question of diff locks.

Been looking at my Rusty and am not looking to go bling bling just make him better than standard.

But how to get round the issue of diff locks?

Can I get away with LSD type diffs such as a Detroit Truetrac? I am hearing different stories regarding the keuring, some say the rolling road for brake tests will cause no probs but others are saying that the locker will give problems.

Not really looking to go fully air locked but is this the only answer to the issue of diff locks?

Any ideas?
Roll on Christmas

Discovery 1 1992 2.5 200Tdi rust bucket......Project in the making

Discovery 1 1998 3.9 V8 3door LPG dismantled

[ur=http://projectrusty1992.blogspot.be/2013/09/the-beginning.html]Follow the adventure[/url]
Escape
lrocb_lidnr: 532
Contacteer:

Re: questions of diff locks

Ongelezen bericht door Escape »

Very easy: as long as you keep the LT230 (and not add a torsen diff to it, as discussed on LR4x4), your Disco can be put on the normal rollers for the brake test, i.e. both wheels turning and tested at the same time. The open diff in the LT230 will handle the speed difference between front and rear axle and the difflock in the axle wont work at all. Unless your brakes have are strongly biased towards one side, then the locker will probably see a difference and will compensate for it, improving the results of the brake test. ;)

Theoretically a torsen diff (like TrueTrac, Ashcroft ATB, Quaife...) should nog give problems on the 'special' rollers that test one wheel at a time and allow the other to rotate backwards. With no torque-input, the diff should not lock up. But I wouldn't be surprised if some cicumstances would make it lock, like when there is more friction to one side (either in the driveline or the rollers) preventing the wheel from spinning freely. So I wouldn't take the risk and just tell them to test it in the standard way.
A clutch-type LSD will certainly give problems if only one wheel is tested at a time. A Detroit No-spin probably will too, as they are usually very reluctant to unlock.

Filip
For those who never try, they are sure to fail (ManoWar)
dieseldog

I am still finding my around with the keuring here and I think HfH hit the nail on the head with the KAM center 4pin diff and lock at will so will be seeing about that when I need to rebuild the transfer box, but it is the transverse diff locks that are troubling me.

I am uncertain about going for full air locking diffs as I am not committed to OBA and have killed a few electric air pumps in the past with re-inflating tyres after sand driving, but I will have to think harder on this.

Posted here due to needing country specific guidance :D

Oh well will have to see how the pennies stack up once he is on the road :roll:
Roll on Christmas

[ur=http://projectrusty1992.blogspot.be/2013/09/the-beginning.html]Follow the adventure[/url]
dieseldog

I believe Henk is running a Detroit true track in his front diff and an air locker in the back, could be wrong though?
Roll on Christmas

Henk
lrocb_lidnr: 30

Ongelezen bericht door Henk »

Indeed, I run this setup but lr4x4 is far better for these kind of questions ... :sick:
Bekijk het van de zonnige kant: hoe oud u ook bent, u bent jonger dan u ooit zult zijn. LROCB-lid (30)

LROCB Afbeelding
dieseldog

Not if I need to know specifically for Belgium ;) Lots of chat on LR4X4 but mostly for the UK MOT where they do not have the same type of safety testing and where they can do a lot more to their trucks in terms of diff locks, engine swaps and such.

Going to go full air locking now as sorted my OBA parts and will be up and running post kuering 8) 8) 8)
Roll on Christmas

Henk
lrocb_lidnr: 30

Ongelezen bericht door Henk »

dieseldog schreef:Going to go full air locking now
Forget ARB and go for Ashcroft !
Bekijk het van de zonnige kant: hoe oud u ook bent, u bent jonger dan u ooit zult zijn. LROCB-lid (30)

LROCB Afbeelding
dieseldog

Henk schreef:
dieseldog schreef:Going to go full air locking now
Forget ARB and go for Ashcroft !
Having seen the chat about the difference between the two I will definitely go Ashcroft lockers in front and rear diffs as well as the 4 pin diff in the transfer box.

Got that sinking feeling when I drained the transmission fluid but we shall see how it runs with new fluids in, really must get back to some welding now :D
Roll on Christmas

Plaats reactie