Dieseldogs bush workshop/helping hand.

Wat staat er nog bij de diverse leden in ontwikkeling
dieseldog
lrocb_lidnr: 0

Dieseldogs bush workshop/helping hand.

Ongelezen bericht door dieseldog »

This is the first of this type of feature here, not the bush workshop as you have seen before, but this is an amalgamation of my bush workshop being combined with something new, my "Helping Hand" project.

This has finally come to fruition with an owner who actually needs serious help but cannot afford the heavy hits from the garage to keep this car running and on the road, for a great many cars this is the sad truth of becoming uneconomical to repair.

"Dieseldogs Helping Hand" is all being done off my own back and with no help or support from sponsors so please excuse the lack of bling in any parts fitted in this and future episodes, but I came up with this idea after becoming rather annoyed by the sale of the fantastic give away prize of a Land Rover 110 in LRO magazine, this prize was snapped up by a guy who neither wanted or needed it and said "it's just not practical", well why bother to enter a competition for a vehicle that wasn't practical for you only to sell it on to get the money for it when it could have been an enthusiasts dream come true. My project is not about giving to the greedy but helping those who are possibly not capable of doing it themselves or have not the place to undertake such works at home but cannot afford garage bills, the main aim is to keep them on the road for owners to enjoy!!!

Here we go, this Discovery is a 300Tdi 5 door variant that has been with the owner since new, it has traveled Europe extensively and is with me to bring it back to road worthiness with a bit of welding.

Time to let the pictures speak for themselves!

Afbeelding

Drivers side foot well/door post bottom/sill top/floor.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Passenger side Door post bottom.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

This is not all of it either but most of it, there are some other areas that need me to wave a magic wand over but I will update this thread as the work progresses.

Time to get outside, get the truck in the barn and get cutting!!!
Roll on Christmas

Discovery 1 1992 2.5 200Tdi rust bucket......Project in the making

Discovery 1 1998 3.9 V8 3door LPG dismantled

[ur=http://projectrusty1992.blogspot.be/2013/09/the-beginning.html]Follow the adventure[/url]
Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
lrocb_lidnr: 1062
Contacteer:

Re: Dieseldogs bush workshop/helping hand.

Ongelezen bericht door Peter Puma »

Hi Nigel,

I'm pretty sure you will work wonders also on the Disco :clap:
Congrats with taking up this (big) task and supporting the LR community by keeping these old trusted vehicles going :thumbup:

Looking forward already to the updated :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Peter
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
Defender 90 Soft Top - Td5
dieseldog

Thank you for the support Peter :thumbup:

Bring this up to speed :D

Sorry, left the camera in the barn but this is the bit where it got cut up :shock:

I like to kick off with my slap with a hammer test, if it bends it is ok and it can be bent back, if the hammer pops through then a real bad sign!!!

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

After a complete KO the secrets were revealed........

Now it is time to get the plan in place and get this mutha back together :D

Stage 1, measure up rot in the floor and cut it out, cut new repair section to suit and weld it in.

Afbeelding

Then go digging around in ones scrap pile for that special tool that I was almost sure I would never need again, the support brace for the door pillar, gonna keep this and give a part No. I think :roll: DDSP #1(dieseldogs special part No.1 :lol: )

Afbeelding

Now the door post is not going anywhere, time to cut a bit more out.......

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

More to come on this "Helping Hand" feature, thanks for looking. :wink:
Roll on Christmas

[ur=http://projectrusty1992.blogspot.be/2013/09/the-beginning.html]Follow the adventure[/url]
dieseldog

So after getting let down with the pre-fabbed repair sections for the door post bottoms I decided to get on and fab them myself, this side front end is done, now working my way into the drivers side before I attempt the rear arches.

This is what it looked like before.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Now cut out and the first new repair piece going in.

Afbeelding

Then start making the parts to assemble the bottom of the post, lots of measuring, cutting, welding and grinding back, very time consuming work.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Drill the drain holes for the sun roof in the bottom and paint the new repairs, underneath was seam sealed with tec-7 first before painting as there is a lot of mud sprayed up under there!!!

Afbeelding

once painted I used an aerosol spray with the small cavity applicator hose to protect it from the inside.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Thanks for looking in on this episode as it progresses.
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

The drivers side was worse for the rust in the fact that it had not been previously repaired in any place along the sill or foot well, it looked somewhat like this when it came.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Slap with the hammer again showed me a few weak points so, here we go again, DDSP#1 to the ready and start gently cutting my way into it.

Afbeelding

Notice how there is actually nothing to sit the special part on as it the support that would normally be spot welded onthe side of the body mount had rusted away I had to get creative still with some scraps to get a sturdy point to mount it so I could open it up fully to get in and repair it properly

Afbeelding

About half way through this episode now and I seem to have quite a collection of rusty silty mud and corroded metal on my workshop floor.

Afbeelding

There will be more pics of the finished door post when I take them, unfortunately day job had an emergency and I have not been in the barn, but when there is time tomorrow I will be sure to get some finished article pics for you all.

Thanks for looking.
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Some much needed pictures I think :D

Been busy and day job can get in the way of best laid plans but things have progressed and a lot of fabrication has gone into place with this truck, here are some pictures from the drivers side door post repair, perhaps some before and after pics to jog your memories of how bad this was and how much I have had to do :wink:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

And now it looks so different after cutting out the rot.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Now it has been fully rebuilt and looks perfect again.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

One huge new sill section fully seam welded into place and you'd be hard pressed to tell it had been touched.

Afbeelding

So with no small amount of work having gone into this so far there is more to share in a future update, thanks for following the story so far
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Anyone who has ever taken on an old Range Rover Classic or a Discovery will be sure to know all about the tales of woe, and how some folk actually believe black silicone is an effective repair over a welded repair, I think I have born witness to many bodges over the years and never in my life have I encountered so many that involve that most inconspicuous of products that most of us welders use for seam sealing, black silicone.

I will get back to the black silicone in a minute, here is the last plate welded into the back of the drivers side sill.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

And here are some pics of the patched up front inner wing on the drivers side.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

All done and tidy :D

The last piece of the puzzle now, oh boy!!!

This is the bit where you will now understand the rant over black silicone :evil:

Afbeelding

Yes that was a bit of tin stuck in the hole and no I was not happy to find it!!! Bit of tin pulled out and oh my.....

Afbeelding

So time to get busy with the flap wheel and see what becomes of the rest of it, by the way, this is not good from my point of view as this is now far exceeding my time allowance for this project and yes the black silicone has reared it's ugly head again.

Afbeelding

Not 100% on how I am going to tackle this bit and need to sort out my game plan and see what is going to be the best, quickest and above all, the safest option to get this repaired.

Thanks for looking in as we draw ever closer to completion.
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Bringing this up to speed and to a close.

We saw the rot in the wheel arch, and the C pillar, well time to cut it all out and get some new metal welded in there :D

Afbeelding

Chop chop and all that.

Afbeelding

Bzzzz, Bzzzz as I weld in a new section of steel to rid the rot.

Afbeelding

Looks better but has to be fnished off nicely :wink: cue flap disc and P40.

Afbeelding

Now time to re-create the post bottom and inner arch.

No pics of how bad it was but think the repair will give an idea!

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Don't poke it, it looks solid enough, well, actually this was a previous repair that was nothing more than a patch stuck over the top of the rusted out section of the outer sill, it got worse too!!!

This picture is an important one for me as it shows how bad an idea some folk have about what constitutes acceptable workmanship, I am no expert and can be taught new things daily, but look close at the build up of sand and silt inside the sill, had this been cut open fully and cleaned out and fully repaired properly, waxoyled and treated against further rust then this repair would never have been necessary, anyhoo....

Afbeelding

I mentioned it got worse didn't I?

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

I had to cut a rather large lump right out of the middle of the sill between the B pillar and the body mount, see my bottle jack propping up the door post, well, that is a must have to keep it going back square, the pillar and cut open sill can drop by as much as 5cms!!!

Afbeelding

You know how it goes, get busy with the 2mm plate and get building it back up.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Sorry no pics of it seam sealed and painted black but think you can guess wow it looked.

Final part of this helping hand was to source a brand new exhaust for this truck, old one was bodged to get by but it was BAD!!!

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

This is what it looked like when I had removed it from the car and dragged it out for closer inspection.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Shocks and surprises over, lets see the new one in place shall we?

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

So, that concludes this helping hand session, I have put a massive ammount of time and hard work, not to mention a heck of a lot of welding fabrication and skill into making this car awesome again.

Thanks for taking the time to read and please comment, your comments make this all worthwhile.
Roll on Christmas

Dennis
LROCB-Member

Ongelezen bericht door Dennis »

very nice. looking forward to your future projects :thumbup:
Yohani
LROCB-Member
lrocb_lidnr: 64
Contacteer:

Ongelezen bericht door Yohani »

Nice job, ready to tackle the next one :thumbup:

Yohani :P
Eigen websites: Reiswebsite; http://www.yohani.be/reizen/ Zelfbouw camper; http://www.yohani.be/campersite/
olav

Ongelezen bericht door olav »

Great job! :clap:
dieseldog

Dennis schreef:very nice. looking forward to your future projects :thumbup:
Got a Citroen Dyane6 in at the moment :lol:
Yohani schreef:Nice job, ready to tackle the next one :thumbup:

Yohani :P
I am considering starting a mini-series "The Journey of Discovery", solely about restoring and repairing Land Rover Discoveries, seem to be quuite good at bringing them back to life :ugeek:
Roll on Christmas

discojo
LROCB-Member
lrocb_lidnr: 1421
Contacteer:

Ongelezen bericht door discojo »

Ondertussen met de Disco naar de keuring geweest en afgezien van enkele opmerkingen was er geen probleem met chassis of body. :thumbup:

Wel een rode kaart voor een remlicht en geometrie koplampen. :thumbdown:

Dus al bij al goed nieuws en de disco is weer klaar om mee op vakantie te gaan.

THANKS DIESELDOG ! :clap:
Plaats reactie