Dieseldogs bush workshop #1

Wat staat er nog bij de diverse leden in ontwikkeling
dieseldog
lrocb_lidnr: 0

Dieseldogs bush workshop #1

Ongelezen bericht door dieseldog »

So this weekend I had a good friend over from Germany so I could fix a few of his cars problems, Paul has a 1994 Discovery 1 200Tdi, a sun seeker edition no less which was only sold in Germany and Holland!

The first problem I had to fix was an intermittent problem with the heater blower switch, normally these are disposable items and replaced but I decided to pen up the switch and see what was wrong, and found there was a loose contact pin, the connector pin was loose on the contact and thus gave the intermittent problem
Afbeelding
the pin circled in black was the culprit, but with a small hammer and a punch I re-seated the pin properly and then a dab of hot solder saw a good solid contact that should last a few more years.

The next job in hand was a little more involving!!!

Namely the back axle diff pan which after almost 20yrs was badly corroded and beginning to leak, so it had to be cut off and a new one welded in place, now as is very well known it can be very difficult to get a completely oil proof weld around the diff pan but we managed, just ;)

So we backed the car up on the ramps and chocked the front wheels with sand bags,
Afbeelding

Once up on the ramps the drain plug can be removed to drain the oil away but for some reading this, it is a good idea when ever you want to change the oil of any component, make sure the filler comes undone first!!!
Afbeelding

Now you can undo the propshaft and secure out of the way,
Afbeelding

Then the half shafts can be romoved by undoing the five bolts per shaft and then pulling the shaft clear of the diff and storing in a plastic bin liner until required for refitting,
Afbeelding

It is a very good idea to then stuff the ends of the axle tubes with clean rag or paper towel to stop any dirt ingress,
Afbeelding

Then you can undo the nuts holding the diff to the casing,
Afbeelding

Then carefully remove the diff and lift away, it is very heavy and you need to be careful you don't drop it on your chest!
Afbeelding

Once removed the ends of the axle tubes inside should then be stuffed with rag or clean paper towel and the cutting can commence,
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Once fully cut off the axle casing then needs to be ground back flush, now this step can take many trial fittings to get it fully flush and to enable you to get the best weld, but be patient!!
Afbeelding

Whilst the diff was out I decided to de-grease and to paint it up a little,
Afbeelding

And regrettably I have no pictures of the finished work due to it being very late and needing to get it all back together and running for the morning, but basically it was all put back together and left bare metal over night so we could see if it leaked and as it was dry all was well and a quick spray with some POR 50 and a liberal dousing with Motip anti rust cavity wax will see it good for a few years to come yet.

Thanks for reading, another instalment will follow in time to come...
Roll on Christmas

Discovery 1 1992 2.5 200Tdi rust bucket......Project in the making

Discovery 1 1998 3.9 V8 3door LPG dismantled

[ur=http://projectrusty1992.blogspot.be/2013/09/the-beginning.html]Follow the adventure[/url]
Plaats reactie