Rusty

Wat staat er nog bij de diverse leden in ontwikkeling
dieseldog
lrocb_lidnr: 0

Rusty

Ongelezen bericht door dieseldog »

So this is my project, Rusty.

Land Rover Discovery 1 1992 200Tdi diesel.

Afbeelding

Not too bad looking from the outside, but that's just the beginning!!

Afbeelding

This was initial nightmare!!! A careless welder had set fire to the foam insulation on the bulk head and it burned out most of the L/H loom and affected nearly all the circuits in one way or another!!

I am by no means deterred by any of the work I have done on Rusty and many have said that I was robbed when I paid 1200 euro for him but on the other hand I also know the types of people that were looking at him when he was burned out and a non runner!!! All they are looking at is the chance to double their money selling the engine and transmission on to someone else and scrap the rest, but I not only wanted to make him run again, which I have but I want to make him better than he was when new.

I was busy doing some of this...

Afbeelding

So once stripped out I got to see what I was dealing with, and it wasn't pretty!!!

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

So bad bits cut out and it was time to cut and paste it all back together again.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Notice there are a couple of extra cables in the new loom section for a time when I build a roof console to fit even more gadgets in to the truck.

Afbeelding

So with the wiring all finished it was time to see if he started......

Afbeelding
So for the first time in over 7 months of being stood waiting for someone to send him to the scrap yard I started him with the aid of my little van as the battery although was fully charged had a dead cell so was useless and in need of replacement.

So with the wiring done I needed to turn my attention to the welding!!!

Afbeelding

This is just one hole that I knew of but it didn't stop me wondering why on earth the boot floor was not replaced a few years ago when it first rotted through, the little tabs you see are tin strips that are stuck down with silicone, poor effort just to get through the Kuering!!!

So it went from that to this...

Afbeelding

Fully seam welded in with some plating done along the edges to replace rotten metal, I had to replace the floor supports as they were rotten beyond salvage but before the boot floor went in I had to deal with this....

Afbeelding

All cut out well nearly, as I opted to do a two piece repair as to save the suspension geometry as it can and usually does move!!!

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Now I stumbled upon a problem, I needed two more matching 235/75 15" General Grabber for the back axle to replace the racing slicks it came with and the thing is they don't make them anymore and finding them in that size was not to be done so I devised a new plan and wanting to fit taller tyres to give a little diff clearance I decided to fit the 24 spline axles from my old V8 Disco to enable me to use the nice silver deep dish alloys in 16", and well Cooper STT look splendid on them!! This is swapping the back axle and the new tyres....

Afbeelding

And new one going in..

Afbeelding

And these are the new tyres against the old ones!!

Afbeelding

So I still have a million things left to do but the front axle is now top of my list as the old compomotive alloys are sold to another forum member.

Watch this space for more updates :thumbup:
Roll on Christmas

Discovery 1 1992 2.5 200Tdi rust bucket......Project in the making

Discovery 1 1998 3.9 V8 3door LPG dismantled

[ur=http://projectrusty1992.blogspot.be/2013/09/the-beginning.html]Follow the adventure[/url]
Henk
lrocb_lidnr: 30

Re: Rusty

Ongelezen bericht door Henk »

nice job :thumbup:
Bekijk het van de zonnige kant: hoe oud u ook bent, u bent jonger dan u ooit zult zijn. LROCB-lid (30)

LROCB Afbeelding
dieseldog

So a little bit more to follow, I had already spotted a lot of rust and there was a lot at the bottom of the drivers side "A" pillar which needed an extensive repair and a new bottom section which came as salvage from my red Discovery, as can be seen here....

Afbeelding

I also wanted to replace the door hinges as the ones on all of the three doors of Rusty were very badly worn, the rear door especially!! Probably from the weight of the spare wheel hanging on it, but I managed to paint them before fitting but not the hinges for the front door yet, this is the front door hanging on the better hinges..

Afbeelding

And this is the new color scheme for Rusty, the horrid blue/grey is gone and a much nicer beige, but I wanted a slight twist and have sprayed a lot of the furniture in a chocolate color to break things up see from the back door, you can also see the nicely painted newer hinges too....

Afbeelding

And at last there is a seat and some carpets inside to make it look a lot more like a car again!!!...

Afbeelding

Where the door shut is I have made this an almost seamless repair and you won't be able to tell once it has had top coat that a repair was even made at the door pillar, I will be spraying inside the pillars with Motip cavity wax anti rust to prevent any further corrosion and in the summer months I will be coating the entire underside and all cavities with dinitrol to protect him for many years to come.
Roll on Christmas

[ur=http://projectrusty1992.blogspot.be/2013/09/the-beginning.html]Follow the adventure[/url]
Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
lrocb_lidnr: 1062
Contacteer:

Ongelezen bericht door Peter Puma »

Splendid :thumbup:
You'll have a very nice Disco in the end.
Keep up the great work ;)
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
Defender 90 Soft Top - Td5
dieseldog

Thank you Peter.

I am actually very disappointed by the last 2 owners of this car :evil: , the car is actually in a very badly kept state, and there is no real reason not to have or do some of the work on this car properly to keep it right, my very last finding of poor make do fixes was the passenger window is held up by a piece of broom handle :shock: :shock: !!! I found a new window regulator to fix this problem within 2minutes of google and it can also be supplied within Belgium for very little money!! 8) I already have window regulators in my stores and will not need to buy them which is good but even if I did have to buy them it really is something silly to let it down!!!

I just want to finish the final touches to the dashboard tonight and then that will be fitted and Rusty really wil look like a car and something a little bit special :D
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

That's indeed quite remarkable to find a piece of broom inside your door :mrgreen:
It shows that the last owner was no longer keen to spend any money on this car, a real pity indeed.

Anyway, it's in good hands now ;).
I'm looking forward already to seeing more pictures as it nears completion :thumbup:
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
peternwobhm
Contacteer:

Ongelezen bericht door peternwobhm »

I wish only that i had your skills dieseldog :thumbup:

Nice work, i always respect other man's work :clap:
pieterjano
Contacteer:

Ongelezen bericht door pieterjano »

looks very nice, decent work :mrgreen:
looking forward to seeing more pictures

pj
Defender 90 met een 200 TDi van 1992
dieseldog

So about time I updated this a little.

With the dash being one of the first things removed many months ago, I have done a lot to it, including stripping out all the air vents and getting it ready for a bath...
Afbeelding

You can see here very clearly the fire damage to the air vents and this one was very crispy!!
Afbeelding

Then with everything removed I used Cilit Bang power spray to clean it all up...
Afbeelding

A good scrub with a stiff nylon brush removed all the years of grime and a lot of the burnt on soot and detritus of 20yrs of driving life..
Afbeelding

Also the steel frames and supports were washed up in readiness for being painted up and made like new again..
Afbeelding

And this is the dash with the all the horrid blue/grey vinyl removed, and back down to the foam..
Afbeelding

More to follow of the finished dash with it's new beige vinyl and nice new dash vents :D
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

So a new look was to behold the dashboard.....

And from the grey foam it became this..
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Afbeelding

And although I tried my hardest to fit the new vinyl covering as professionally as possible it really could not be done all in one piece on the ends, so I had to make some end covers and pop rivet them on to make it look passable, but I like it, and it is good enough for me and bearing in mind Rusty is more than 20yrs old it reallyis not that important as he will not be a show car or a collectors piece.

All the metal work from the dash once washed, dried and degreased with acetone was sprayed over with a grey metal paint to keep it fresh for a few more years and as this paint was a POR(paint on rust) type paint it was especially good on those that were a little dubious where they were a little close to the fire...
Afbeelding

A comparison of the burnt vent along an unburned one.....
Afbeelding

Now, there are small neoprene gaskets on the backs of teh above vents and they were all badly squashed and had long since outlived their useful life, so I needed to replace them with some new ones, long out of service as a replacement part so I used some adhesive foam for draft excluding around door frames and windows, looked like this...
Afbeelding
Afbeelding
Should seal very well and unlike the previous gaskets they cannot move around on fitting of the ventilation system as they are self adhesive :thumbup:

Now a quick test fit of the under bonnet airbox saw it a close fit but also a potential rattly one when driving rough tracks so I decided to cure that with the foam again by sticking it to the edges that were a close fit and now even if it rattles a little there should be very little noise from it :D
Afbeelding
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Hi dieseldog,

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished interior, for sure this look pretty smart :thumbup:
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

Well the interior inspired by Terrance Conran was ok but the cobalt blue was never to my personal liking, and I decided to chance it, I broke my 1998 Discovery 1 V8 a short time before I bought Rusty so I decided to use the nice beige interior in Rusty, the interior in the Discoveries never changed much only bar the dash and I preferred the dash from the 200 series anyway as the 300 series seems to make the cab seem bulky in comparison.

But what about the rest of the plastics?

A little bit of creativity with aerosol sprays, and from using these...
Afbeelding

We went from the grey to a chocolate color in stead...
Afbeelding

the center dash panel needing masking to keep the ventilation symbols visible....
Afbeelding

Even the instrument binnacle was given a new coat of paint to make it fit in with the new color scheme...
Afbeelding

This is the center panel after it has had a llick of paint...
Afbeelding

I was very lucky as I managed to get a beige steering wheel when I got my replacement dash vents, it will do for now but I do plan to change the steering wheel for a smaller custom steering wheel to make life easier as the steering wheels on Land Rovers are always a little bit too big, so once I have found a couple of electrical gremlins I will be fitting the dash and all furniture in the new color scheme.

More to follow in a few days.
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Well I have been very busy doing very little due to Rusty sitting outside in the rain and snow!! Snow in mid March :shock: :shock: :shock: Shocking.....

I have however found a couple of new problems but once I have solved them I will post some more for you all to see :D
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Here we go again, so the newest problem of a significant magnitude is the heater box blower motor, now, yet again I am failing to understand the mentality of some people, I remembered it was not working from earlier in the adventure but with so many other things to fix I figured I would get on with them and sort that out just before refitting the interior etc, but as usual, the first thing to check is the fuse, missing, wonder why? OK new fuse and switching only brings clicking from the heater box, so out it must come......

Heater box in position...
Afbeelding

There are 4X 9/16 hex headed screws that hold the heater box to the bulkhead and these must be removed...
Afbeelding

the ventilation pipes must be removed from the heater manifolds and ducts...
Afbeelding

As does the power feed for the blower motor..
Afbeelding

In the engine bay the feed and return from the heater matrix must be removed also, note there is precious little room for maneuver as the inlet and outlet are very short and barely stick through far enough, and you need to be careful not to give them too much stick as they are not young and may break and end up costing you more than a few extra minutes in undoing them carefully....
Afbeelding

Once the pies are free the heater box can be wriggled free from it's position under the dash valance and above the transmission tunnel, and once out it is a good thing to open it up for assessment, this is the vacuum operated valve for the re circulation flap being removed..
Afbeelding

And the pipe from the solenoid valve that controls the vacuum..
Afbeelding

As you will have seen from the last pictures there is a ring of screws that holds the cover plate on and these can now be removed, and in we go...
Afbeelding

For all those who have read all about the resistor pack and wondered where it lived and what it looked like, well this is for you....
Afbeelding

And ta-daaa, one very crispy and rusty looking blower motor....
Afbeelding

I mentioned at the start of this episode that the fuse was missing from the blowers fuse position, well this is why...
Afbeelding

The blower motor was so badly worn out that it would have kept catching and stalling, and thus blowing the fuse continually, oh well here we go again, more money to spend then.....
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Well my popularity in Belgium has slumped to an all time low after sending a rather angry email to the girl who, when asked "is there anything else not working I should know about?" simply replied "oh no, nothing at all, you have seen everything there is", yeah right, a steering box that does a good impression of a watering can, a piece of broom stick holding up the passenger side window a note on the keuringbewijs warning that the rear shocks are f**ked and a non functioning heater blower, seriously not happy with that little list of jobs and costs.

I really do not know what on earth is going through the heads of some people, I would not have minded at all if she had fessed up to the problems when I asked, it probably would not have affected the price at that point, but to keep finding these things as I work my way through the problems that I do know of is getting a little tiresome and I probably would not have bought the Cooper tyres and opted for just two similar tyres to match the front as a get me by solution and then there would have been money and time enough for the rest, but now the money is getting a bit thin and lets face it time is going by very fast and we will soon be smack bang in the middle of the breeding season and I simply will not have time for Rusty from mid April onward :cry: :cry: :cry:

So to all those out there who cannot be arsed to fix your cars and then keep quiet about the hidden problems :mids :mids :mids :mids

Be honest with potential buyers, it might cost you a couple of yo yo's but so what, they will have more respect for your honesty than I have for the girl who simply wanted as much money from the sale of the car as she could get!!!

End rant.
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

So another uneventful few weeks save for having now swapped over the 24 spline diff and shafts from the other axle, oh well, pictures to come from that but I am happier now the front axle is finished for now, I want to re-bush the radius arms at some point with the new poly bushes and also see if I can actually afford a steering box anytime this year, I cannot believe the costs I am incurring with small consumables, RTV sealants and POP rivets, and oils, gaskets, nuts, bolts and washers, really hurting my pockets now and we are still not quite finished :shock: :sick: :sick:

Oh well, the aim is still to have him finished by the national rally in Durler, but will be pushing it a bit I think :roll:
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Some long awaited pictures I think....

The front 10 spline hubs went from this....
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Now as I am a little bit old fashioned I do prefer oil lubricated wheel bearings and drive members and opted to remove the oil seal from the 24 spline stub axle to get the oil from the swivel housing to the bearings, I was a little dubious of the little rubber caps for holding the oil back and rightly so as on one side it was already weeping badly within an hour of fitting, so new plan and new parts which came in the form of Bearmach heavy duty drive flanges supplied by LPI in Landen, Saint Truiden, don't they look shiney :D Although they are hidden by the deep dish alloy wheels once fitted :roll:

Afbeelding
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Wanting to see my hard work and effort in the flesh I decided to have a little break away from mechanical jobs and decided to fit my labor of love(also known as my self made recovered dash 8) ), This is what it looks like inside now.....

Repaired heater box going back in and onwards......

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

So what do you all think so far? I like it :D :D :D

But as always with this car, for every good bit there seems to be a seriously bad bit to follow booooo :thumbdown:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

And WTF was going on here? Why on earth would you stick a little bit of tin on the bottom of the door post like this?

If you saw my own fair hands work on the other side door post bottom then you already know this is not acceptable as any type of welding repair!!!!

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Oh well time to break out the welding gear again :roll: At least it is much warmer now and I can work in comfort in the evening, I also found the time to replace the piece of broom handle with a fully functioning window regulator and now the door card is back where it is supposed to be :D

Will this truck ever get finished?

Find out in future installments ;)
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

A sudden urge to try something new has resulted in poly bushes being fitted :shock:

There will be some pictures to follow but at least one trailing arm has been done for now and when I have to take the front wheels off in a weeks time I will aim to do the front radius arms then too :D
Roll on Christmas

Henk

Still some work in front of you ... :oops:
Bekijk het van de zonnige kant: hoe oud u ook bent, u bent jonger dan u ooit zult zijn. LROCB-lid (30)

LROCB Afbeelding
dieseldog

Bush swapping for poly bushes, the old ones are drilled through the rubber all the way round the center sleeve and then the center sleeve is pushed out using a socket and spacer then the outer sleeve is cut through with a hacksaw and then knocked out with a cold chisel, see how it goes...

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

New bush is a two piece poly bush with a steel center sleeve that can be pushed in with fingers but the sleeve does need pressed home in the vice or tapped in with a wooded dolly and a hammer.

Afbeelding

The chassis mounting bush is simply secured by a 30mm nut to the trailing arm and removing the nut allows the bush to slide off easily..

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Assemble all the pieces of the new bush and lightly fasten a new nyloc nut for now as it will need to be aligned correctly before torquing up once on the truck!!

I gave Rusty a bath a few days ago and this is what I found under all that dust and grime...

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Not looking too bad after all the work so far!!
Henk schreef:Still some work in front of you ... :oops:
I know but there does seem to be some sort of light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully it is not a train :shock: :shock: :shock:
Roll on Christmas

discojo
LROCB-Member
lrocb_lidnr: 1421
Contacteer:

Ongelezen bericht door discojo »

Stunning car !
Is that the original paint ?
Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Amazing work :thumbup:
Rusty is starting to look pretty good already ;)

Will you be doing any more work on the outside ?
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

Peter Puma schreef:Amazing work :thumbup:
Rusty is starting to look pretty good already ;)

Will you be doing any more work on the outside ?
Thanks and there are plans to follow but not for a while yet, I did like the Disco 11 face lifted headlights and although there are a couple of mods to do I think I could get it through the keuring without too many issues ;)

Higher up on my list of things I want is a half roll cage to protect the cabin should the worst case become reality and we roll over, then we come to the lights, I have fallen head over heels in love with the latest offering from Terra firma, their new HID 8" spots are just to die for!!! 350 euro a pair though!! So not high on priorities but "I want!" factor is very high!!

There are also plans for winching bumper and winch, but I have to be choosy about what I fit as I want it to look good but be functional too, in all seriousness I am also considering a rear mounted winch too, but that is a special build for another day I think!!!
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Oooohhhhhh!!!! Shiney bits!!!

Went shopping today and bought Rusty a new exhaust, center and tail pipe came courtesy of LPI in Landen, took me all of 30mins to fit and the hardest part was getting the rubbers hangers on the stirrups :shock:

When Rusty came to me he had a badly bent tail pipe that had been bashed into the mud shield, now in the interest of longevity I wanted to fit a whole new set as it future proofs him for a few years without worrying about needing to buy and fit new parts later on and I can just enjoy driving him.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

After fitting the exhaust I needed to fix the back door handle as it was seizing in the unlatched position and not allowing the rear door to close again until I had levered it back down with my pocket knife, so I basically had to strip out the rear door to enable me to remove the handle and lubricate it thoroughly, this was in the form of oil being worked into the pivot and then thoroughly greased to prevent the oil from drying out over time, job done and a happy boy I am, now I feel some momentum being gathered hopefully the rest of the build should go a bit faster now :D :D :D
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

That's nice and shiny :mrgreen: :thumbup:.

Looking at the underside, do you plan to do more work to tackle those rusting bits too ?
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

Well I am in the middle of painting up another axle casing and will be swapping that over when I have time but the reat of the chassis is sound as it has been treated professionally with Dinitrol, although it will be again treated at home with black waxoyl when the rest of the welding is done, but probably at the end of the summer, the tow hitch is being removed as I have no intentions of towing anything other than another car from the mud and thus will improve departure angles a little in the process, but I did spot a bit of rust on the rear body cross member so perhaps I will investigate that thoroughly before I treat the car with rust inhibitor.

just having to wait for a delivery of welding gas at the minute and then I can carry on with the more interesting side of the project :roll:

And when funds permit I will be replacing the front shocks and will be fitting new turrets and retaining rings and also the new poly bushes in the front radius arms, so still work enough to keep me busy :sick: :sick: :sick:
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

From the sound of things, that will keep you busy some more :mrgreen:

You're right to take down the towing hitch if you no longer have any use from it, however, do you plan to install rear jate rings or something similar in case you get stuck yourself ?

E.g.

Afbeelding

Greetings from Epsom - UK :D
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

This is more what I had in mind with built in recovery points, I will be fitting jate rings as well but as many will know that when you are stuck it is often a lot of work getting to them on the bottom of the chassis rail :roll:

Afbeelding

Ah Epsom, you really must visit Chessington world of adventure as it is not far from there!! I used to work a lot in that area when I used to drive big diggers, Walton on Thames, Croydon and Mitcham are all very close by and I also used to work air side at terminal 5 Heathrow airport.

Enjoy your stay in England :D
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Hi dieseldog,

Unfortunately for work here so not much time for sightseeing. But I'll keep it in mind when I plan my next trip.
I'm in this region like 3 to 4 times a year so that should work out one day ;).

That bumper really looks pretty solid :clap: and you're right about the location of those recovery points.
On the chassis rails these are far too low. One would have to hook up a recovery line already before going out in the field to make these useful.

Will you be welding this bumper yourself then ?
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

Why struggle to make it myself when these guys can make it for me with built in beauty ;)

I have dealt with them before and they are very professional and the welding is top notch!!!

That reminds me, I really must do some more welding on Rusty :roll:
Laatst gewijzigd door dieseldog op do 23 mei, 2013 20:58, 1 keer totaal gewijzigd.
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Absolutely true :thumbup:
I've taken a look on their website and it sure looks like these guys make nice stuff.
Pity that it is a bit too far from here, else I might pay them a visit ;).

Happy welding :mrgreen:
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

Did a little bit more welding tonight but I am having many a differing comment on my quest to have diff locks fitted to Rusty, I originally wanted to have a Detroit Truetrac locker in the back and a possibly an ashcroft ATB in the front but I am having issues surrounding the safety test see here for my problem.

I am more of a street sleeper kind of guy and am not one for bling accessories and such but more practical enhancements, I once fitted a Rover 3.5 V8 into a lada Riva saloon car just for kicks, lets just say rear half shafts go ping pretty quick but the traffic light grand prix was always amusing :D

I have a strong desire to have Rusty on the road sooner rather than later and have decided to just patch things up for now but parts are being stored for winter when I will have much more time for body work and such, I just really want to get on and drive him now though :twisted:

More pictures of the welding to come.....

If you like looking at the good stuff Peter then check out Safari Engineering Based in Eversley, Hampshire, it is just a short way down the M3 from where you are now, look at their webby and contact them for a look around, you will not be disappointed!! I used to work in a gravel pit in Eversley and came to know them through working locally to them, very helpful when I needed it.
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Hi dieseldog,

I wonder if your workplace is heated during winter ?
When you plan to do more body work, I suppose you'll not be doing this when temperatures are close to freezing, will you ?

Surely, we can very well understand that you really would like to go on the road with Rusty, after all the hard work of the past months :mrgreen:
I'm sure that will be a very rewarding drive ;).

Meanwhile I'm back to the east side of the Channel :lol:
Really didn't have much time to explore the area (which is a pity really as it's really beautiful).
For sure I'm going to visit them on the next occasion; thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Meanwhile, how's the work on Rusty going ?
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

Hi Peter,

A heated workshop :shock: I should be so lucky :lol:

When this picture was taken it was -1 degree and beginning to snow again :roll:
Afbeelding

I am a seasoned veteran of working on trucks and the cold is not that bigger deal to be honest, doesn't make it nice but you gotta do what ya gotta do ;)

Interestingly for a full round up of the work I did on my friends car that weekend see here

But the cold is not my worst enemy!!!

This is though :oops:

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Now when it rains here sometimes it just does not stop and sorry to say I do own a pair of wellington boots but not a full on divers dry suit :lol: :lol:

But I am ashamed to say that although I have begun welding again it has almost ground to a halt due to time constraints surrounding my job, it is the breeding season for the horses and we are on to the ongoing days that start at 8 and finish when it is done, now that might be the yard is done at 5 and I have a few hours to do some more until one of the vets turns up to start the evening session or it could be that they are back just after 5 and we have a lot to do until 11 ~ 11:30 and after that I really don't feel like doing anything more than going to bed, getting an hour here and there but it is slow going now :(
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

oh my, has it really been more than a month since I last worked on my Rusty :roll: :roll: :roll:

Well in my defense I do have a day job that is seasonal and when I say seasonal I mean it!! I have gone from my 8hrs pottering around doing very little to more than 17hrs/day and working flat out all day long, good for the soul but being on salary means the pockets never get any fuller :(

Today is the first day off that I have dedicated to Rusty and busy I have been, although not without a few issues through the day!!!

A viscous fan that was seized on the shaft solidly was my first battle!!!
I even went as far as to buy one of those special 32mm cranked head spanners just for the job and hey presto bent that and ruined it so back to my big adjustable and a few gentle blows with a hammer and punch being careful not to damage the water pump and after more than an hour and a half of struggling it came free.

Afbeelding

I did a bit of work on my old mates Disco over the winter, namely the timing chest seals, now, allit took was one slip and we had punctured the rad, trouble is Paul needed to be back in Germany in the morning so the solution was to rob Rusty of his radiator to get Paul mobile and home and I could set about this one for re-core, well I can buy a brand new one for the price of a re-core here so ended up using a brazing rod and a propane torch to solder it all up and it has been good as gold since, but one thing I actually overlooked was that Rusty was filled with the long life OAT antifreeze, now not a problem until I decided I needed to get him filled up again as the rad was back in, and then I came home with my old favorite ethylene glycol, the two do not mix well at all and especially longer term running it sludges up and will block the rad and cause over heating, so mistake only noticed after filling it up, but too late and not wanting to risk freezing the block I left it alone until now, he has barely covered half a Km with it in so just draining it out, flushing it through and refilling the whole system should do, I think :?

Hose pipe going intothe bottom of the rad to back flush it through.
Afbeelding

And here it flows out the top, just keep it going in for a while and block it off a little so that it has to pressurize and blow a little, it helps to remove any sludge from the lower rad tubes and should help with future cooling.
Afbeelding

Push the water through the engine block too via the thermostat housing, it runs back out the bottom rad pipe so you need to keep an eye on how clear it runs before you get over excited and turn it off.
Afbeelding

And then fill it up again.
Afbeelding

The 5 liter bottles are ready to use diluted antimix, perfect as no need to try and guess how much neat and how much water went in.

I also decided to go full poly bush and you saw earlier in the thread me fitting them into the rear trailing arms, well I managed to fit them too so just the front radius arms and panhard rod to do then all done and ready for my real world test :D

Just need to bleed the back brakes and then I will be on the front axle 8)

long way to go but getting there slowly :roll:
Roll on Christmas

olav

Ongelezen bericht door olav »

Great Job :clap:

I learnt a lot on early Discoveries here
Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Truly inspiring :thumbup:
I've been working on my own "Rusty" quite a lot lately; however it's an Iveco Daily ;).
Whoever tells me that Land-Rovers are starting to rust quickly ... look at an Iveco instead !

Dieseldog, keep up the hard work ! (in between the daytime job :mrgreen: )
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

olav schreef:Great Job :clap:

I learnt a lot on early Discoveries here
Glad I can offer some help through my thread, it can be daunting but being methodical helps as does a decent workshop, probably explains why this build is taking so long :lol:
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Peter Puma schreef:Truly inspiring :thumbup:
I've been working on my own "Rusty" quite a lot lately; however it's an Iveco Daily ;).
Whoever tells me that Land-Rovers are starting to rust quickly ... look at an Iveco instead !

Dieseldog, keep up the hard work ! (in between the daytime job :mrgreen: )
Them Iveco's do love to rust, worse than a Land Rover I think :lol: We used to run a turbo daily 4x4 hi-top van, two engines 4 gearboxes and we pretty much built it over with the welding of the sills, wings, rear floor and chassis rails, oh they were the days :D
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

So my list is getting smaller one moment and then bigger the next :twisted:

Managed to find time today for a little bit of fettling, and did I mention I went shopping too?

Afbeelding
I know frivolous spending but trouble is the price was right and so was the bank balance too, but hell, why hold back it was getting them at some point :D

So first job was to finish the bleeding of the brakes, soon done but I am not happy with the pedal feel, although the discs are red rusty and will need a good run around to burn the rust off the discs before I change the pads ready for the safety test, so 30 mins on the rear brakes.

And these are my home made gaiters for the gear shifts and H/brake, made from the same material as the dash was covered in.

Afbeelding

Thought I might see for myself what the worry is with running 235/85 16s on a Disco, safe to say that yes I will have to do a camel cut to the rear arches :)

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

The rest was for stripping off the front bumper.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Only to find this lurking behind the bumper :(

Afbeelding

Not so bad but still needs done :roll:

Afbeelding

Progress has at last restarted :D
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Test fitting my new winch bumper tonight :D

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Will be fitted fully with the winch after the welding has been tackled, just have to elongate the mounting holes a little for a better fit but I am very pleased with it.

Also thought it a good idea to remove the rear bumper for a better look at the chassis and rear body cross members too, Chassis is perfect but the rear body cross member requires some remedial work to ensure it lasts a few more years.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Now, getting the rear bumper off was interesting as it had to be cut off on one side due to an impact of some kind by a previous owner that had bent the mounting for the bumper, will need to straighten this out and remove the bolt before the 300 Tdi rear bumper can go on.

Afbeelding

I have opted to use the later bumper for now, as I want to have rear lights in the bumper and because I have it, bonus here is that I can fit the new loom for the bumper lights ahead of the new H/D bumper that I want which will have lights in also.

More to come in the following days :D
Roll on Christmas

Henk

So when will it be ready for offroading?

LROCB Afbeelding
dieseldog

Henk schreef:So when will it be ready for offroading?
Some time in the near future, just not sure when :roll:

Now I have time it should really pick up the pace, and having spent a few days with my note pad and pen writing out the list of things to do and in what order it really shouldn't take too long either.

Will be looking to sign up for a driving day when it is ready though :thumbup:
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Looking forward to see it in real life ;)

But first make sure to make it a bit less Rusty :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Keep up the hard work :thumbup:
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
dieseldog

Bit more done tonight, for those that don't know this about me and my projects, I only work 3hrs per session on my truck if after work and max 8hrs if on my day off, it stops me from getting stale and bogged down too much, although there was a point where I was almost sick of the sight of it!!!!

But first off I removed that thing most of us know as a mud plough, others call them tow bars :blink:
Afbeelding

Even found and unplugged the proper LR wiring loom for it too ;)

Then on to the more enjoyable task of.......

You guessed it cutting out the rot and welding in new metal, couple of patches on the rear cross member is all that was needed :rolleyes:
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

And one right in the middle above the bracket bolts for the plough :lol:

Afbeelding

Then all sealed over and now painted in a snazzy red hammerite No.1
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

So not much left to finish the back end off completely, just the wiring harness for the bumper lights and then fit the 300Tdi rear bumper for now and can call the back end done :)
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Bumper fitting time, needed to get the bracket off the chassis first and see how bad it was bent, no less than 5 penny washers as spacers under there to hold it away from the corner of the body :shock:

Afbeelding

Apply heat to gas mark 8 and watch it glow,

Afbeelding

Then repeatedly bash a piece of thick wall pipe through the gap between the body mount and chassis body mount until it yields as straight as it is going to.

Afbeelding

Then offer up the bumper to see if it fits.

Afbeelding

Bingo we have a winner, now the plastic tread plate can be re-fitted with a bit of silicone and a few rivets as I hate those plastic clip things with a passion and job done for tonight :)

Afbeelding

For tomorrow I am going to do a full walk through for fitting the relays on an 200 series Disco that does not have the lights in the bumper originally, all will be revealed :geek:
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

300Tdi bumper fitted and now it is on to the wiring up of the lights.

For those that don't know, if you intend on running the extra lamps on an earlier 200Tdi and don't want the trailer lamp and/or buzzer going off every time you indicate you need to wire them in with a relay for each indicator lamp, this is how I did mine.

This is basically the bottom back of the looms from my old 300 series V8, you need the wiring and plugs for the lamps and a bit of spare cable.
Afbeelding

The relay needs a live feed from the battery and an earth, I chose to run a cable direct from the battery under the body and entering the rear at the light units, this feed will have a 10A inline fuse in it too.
Afbeelding

Next you have to find the wires from the multi plug on the back of the light cluster, easy really as they are the same as the colored cables in the lower loom, green with white stripe for the indicators and red with an orange stripe for the side lights, and the black wires are earths, I chose to pluck the terminals out and bare the wires back and solder in the connecting wire for the side light and the trigger wire for the relay, small wrap of tape to insulate them a little.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

The earths are mounted to the body via one of the old M8 bolt holes that would have been used for the dickie seats in the rear.
Afbeelding

I had loads of the old relay holders from the 300series and used one her with a small strip of tin riveted to the body with a smear of silicone to seal it and job done, you can see the small inline fuse at the bottom, the cable from the battery will go into a new fuse box when I rebuild the inner wing that side and will have further protection there.
Afbeelding

And all working as it should, and no trailer light warning lamp to be seen.
Afbeelding

The connections for the relay goes as follows

30= 12V live
86= earth
85= trigger wire from existing L/R indicator
87= supply wire to new indicator

I would like to thank Western for the very good diagram that can be found HERE I was an enormous help when I needed it.
Roll on Christmas

dieseldog

Tonight was another productive but unproductive night working on my Rusty.

Power steering boxes eh? :eh:

Undoing all the bolts and pipes.
Afbeelding

And suddenly........
Afbeelding
It vanished :o :o :o :o

A good while ago I decided to buy a seal kit just in case I could get away with new seals and it would be good for a few months so time to pull it apart to see what was going on inside?
Afbeelding

But this will come as no surprise for some when I tell you that most of the bolts were unusually easy to undo as were the hydraulic hoses, you guessed it, someone had been there before me and left me some sort of present.
Afbeelding

That black/grey/blue gunge is some sort of silicone sealant, and it was under the dust cover, nice hey, professional repair :lol:

But not too surprising that Rusty got passed on relatively quickly considering the cost of buying a new box here is stupid money and above €150 more than I would pay shipping a LHD box direct from the UK. Oh well.

The reason for the seals failure is pitting on the sealing face of the shaft, for me I am actually wondering if this could be overcome with being built up with weld and turned down on a lathe? Not too sure really as not my field of knowledge. But it did look like this.
Afbeelding

Oh well these things are sent to try us.
Roll on Christmas

Peter Puma
LROCB-Member
Contacteer:

Always look on the bright side of things hè ;)
Beste Groeten,
Peter

Defender 110 StaWa - Td5
Defender 110 HCPU - Td4
Plaats reactie